Post-traumatic stress disorder is a mental condition triggered by a terrifying event in a person’s life. The person may have witnessed or experienced the terrifying event. Most cases of PTSD are caused by incidents of domestic violence. Symptoms of this mental health condition include nightmares, flashbacks, uncontrollable thoughts related to the event, as well as severe anxiety.
Most victims of severe trauma have temporary difficulties coping with day-to-day activities. However, with good care, they almost always get better. However, if the symptoms persist for months or years, the patient might be suffering from PTSD. It is essential to get effective PTSD treatment to reduce the symptoms and improve the quality of life. Symptoms of PTSD may include:
- Recurrent, unwanted memories of a traumatic event
- Avoiding people, places, activities or talks related to the traumatic event
- Negative changes in mood and thoughts
- Changes in emotional as well as physical reactions (easily startled or frightened)
- Having frightening nightmares about the traumatic event